Thursday, November 8, 2012

Tilling the Garden of the Mind







Today started out as a laid back day for my daughter and I.  We got going with our day doing a yoga video.  Our days usually begins with "PE".  My daughter usually uploads a video of a yoga practice geared to children or watches one on youtube.  One we really love and suggest is Cosmic Kids Yoga.  We do our yoga or I facilitate an Afro-based movement and dance workout, sometimes aided by youtubes and anything  I can find with exhilarating drum rhythms.   I find making exercise and meditation the beginning of each day allows us to both go into what we need with more focus and concentrated energy.  Plus, taking care of your body feels so good!


After our yoga practice today, Ka and I kind of meandered around our lessons.  We did some Language Arts, focusing on the use of new spelling words in a writing assignment.  The unit study, which is my new approach to this whole home schooling thing, is an in depth into writing informational pieces.  These pieces involve research, brainstorming, drafting, re-drafting and revising and upon final revision, publishing.  This way, by the time she has gotten each essay where she wants it, she can learn a bit about publishing online and in blogs.  We hope to get her blog up and  running this week!

We took a couple of hours after Language arts today because I was tired and needed to run an errand.  We went out, bought some groceries and of course she was able to practice her skills with money exchange.  Then we went outside of our local health co-op,  The Daily Co-op and practiced with my daughter's French flashcards while sipping organic coffee and tea.  My husband is her official French teacher since he's fluent in it being from Senegal, but since he's been gone for about 6 weeks, I've had to jump in and take his place for the time being. So far so good..I can't wait till he returns though, we miss speaking French and his native Wolof language with him.  Sometimes we work on Spanish a tad of Portuguese, the other languages I speak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment